Fernwood Cove is located on 220 acres of fields and forest with over 3500 feet of lake front on the shores of Island Pond. The natural surroundings are complimented by well maintained facilities, access to woodlands and adjoining the lake, it is perfect for all our activities.
Fernwood Cove has a well-planned layout that creates a sense of community and inclusiveness. The lake is visible from all points in camp and every activity is conveniently located. It has 21 camper cabins that neighbor each other forming a sense of togetherness. Our younger camper cabins are all equipped with running water and a bathroom with close access to shower facilities called the Rubber Ducky and the American Dipper. Our older camper cabins have a beautiful view of the waterfront and share a shower house with bathrooms centrally located called the Birdbath and the Lagoon. With Fernwood Coves values of simple living we choose to have no electricity in the cabins as it helps create closeness when campers and staff gather together by flashlight in the evenings to share stories.
A unique Fernwood Cove tradition is to name our buildings after birds, each cabin and building has its own bird name.
Fernwood Cove’s Facilities Include:
- The main Assembly hall, the Chick, constructed 2012 which includes a theater stage, dressing rooms, theater prop rooms, and a fireplace. Downstairs – Counselor in Training classroom, dance studio and the Fernwood Cove Living Library.
- Dining hall, the Feeder, which seats all campers, counselors in training and staff together for each meal.
- Health Care Center, the Nightingale, with clinic and bed rooms
- A 5400 sq. foot, Olympic sized gymnastics facility.
- Five tennis courts, three are lit for night play.
- Sports Fields include: one soccer field, softball field, basketball court and a beach volleyball court.
- Landscaped Archery field with its own boardwalk entryway.
- Two dance studios.
- 14 stall barn, 2 riding arenas, 4 paddocks with run-in sheds and many trails on our land for trail rides.
- A beautiful waterfront with sandy beach area for swimming, small craft boating activities, and wake boarding and water skiing.
- Three arts buildings which include separate space for photography, ceramics, arts and crafts, sewing, jewelry, painting and woodworking.
- A timber frame culinary arts building with custom designed cabinetry, 2 propane stoves, 4 refrigerators, a freezer and commercial dish washer.
- An octagonal 2 story tree house specifically designed for Nature classes, Out-door-living skills and our Out-door-Cooking activities.
- 3 on campus overnight camping sites, Table-Top Rock, Waterfront Lean-To and Pride Rock camp sites.
- 1 overnight camp site 10 minutes away on the Crooked River called Twisted Creek camp site.
- 2 Climbing walls with a total of 6 different sides
- High and low rope elements
- 12 miles of trails looped around the woodlands of Fernwood Cove
And there is more! Fernwood Cove has a total of 40 kilowatts of solar Arrays that offsets over 75% of our energy use.
Click HERE to view Live Data
Click HERE to view live solar data on the Chick
Is Fernwood Cove on the same site as Camp Chickawah?
Yes! Fernwood Cove, girls summer camp, was established in 1998 on the former site of Camp Chickawah which was a boys’ camp established in 1920 and operated into the mid 1980’s. Get more information about Camp Chickawah.